|History of Xi’an Jiaotong University|
The Picture of the Process of the University’s History
History of Xi’an Jiaotong University
Towering trees have their roots and the rivers flowing around the mountains have their sources. The predecessor of Xi'an Jiaotong University was Nanyang Public University which was founded in Shanghai in 1896. In 1905, it was transferred to the commercial department and was renamed Higher Industrial School. In 1906, it fell under the command of the postal transmission department. It was renamed Shanghai High Industrial School of the Postal Transmission Department. In 1911, it was again renamed Grand Naiyang University after the Xinhai Revolution broke out. After the Republic of China was founded in 1912, it was managed by the traffic department and was renamed the Shanghai Special Industrial School of Traffic Department. In 1921, Jiaotong University was set up by merging the Shanghai Special Industrial School, the Tangshan Special Industrial School, the Beiping Railway Management School and the Peiping Posts and Telecommunication School. After the founding of the People’s Republic of China, the State Council, in light of the strategy of the economic development of the country, decided to move Jiaotong University to Xi'an. In 1959, the University was named Xi'an Jiaotong University and it was listed as one of the key universities in China. In April of 2000, upon the approval by the State Council, Xi'an Medical University, Shannxi Institute of Finance and Economics and Xi'an Jiaotong University were merged and formed the current Xi'an Jiaotong University.